Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Junk 2 Funk Fashion Show


Ok, so this doesn't quite have as much to do with local shopping, but it has everything to do with the AMAZING design talent found here in our great city of Savannah. I had the pleasure of attending Savannah Arts Academy's Junk 2 Funk Fashion Show, and I have to say it was one of the coolest things I have done since opening BleuBelle!

The incredible Trellis Payne was responsible for putting on this second annual event, which featured fashion designs made from everything from Doritos bags to Duck Tape to McDonald's packaging in a FABULOUS runway show at the school's auditorium. The place was packed, and I have a feeling this is going to be a huge event in the years to come. Literally half of the designs would have not only won an episode of Project Runway, but they would be one of the most memorable designs in the history of the show. I could not believe that these designs came from high school art students (not even fashion students!) from here in little ol' Savannah!!

I truly can't tell you how incredibly talented these students are, and as part of the "Junk Jury", we had a hard time picking the winners of categories ranging from "Best Use of Materials" to "Best Styling." However, for me, the overall winner was clear, and "Paper. Peacock. Panache." took the top honors, winning "Best of Show." This incredible design was created entirely from paper, paint, and peacock feathers. The result was incredibly styled - down to the model's shoes. The dress was so gorgeous!!

Oh - and I was also blown away by the opening dance piece (choreographed by my wonderful friend Christina Powell)!! I felt like I was watching an episode of my favorite TV show - So You Think You Can Dance - live and in person!! I am already looking forward to next year's show - and my advice to you would be to buy your ticket EARLY, because it is sure to sell out super fast!!

1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend, how much am I loving you right now? You just made my day! Thank you so much for saying such fantastic things! All the participants (designers, models, techies, etc.) couldn't be more proud to have had such a wonderful response to only our 2nd fashion show! The feedback and support from someone as fashion savvy as yourself is instrumental in helping us grow as a mini-fashion department within our visual arts department at SAA! When I told the kids that BleuBelle wanted to sponsor us and possibly display some of our works, they just squealed with excitment! We really appreciate your involvement and look forward to working with you even more in the future! Much, MUCH love!!! ~Trellis

    ReplyDelete